Tuesday, August 7, 2007

On Afternoon Coffee

Hi all-

Cross-posted from LJ...

"afternoon coffee

I've taken to having a cup of coffee and some fruit in the afternoon. This is much like tea and cakes but without either. Today is strawberries. It's summer now, and time for strawberries, although the ones from the grocery store are all bruised and either too ripe or not enough. One has a green tip, and I eat it anyway. When you live in a place with four seasons, it's not enough that you hate winter, you have to love summer too.

Only two of the five are worth eating, despite the begrudging acceptance of sub-standard berries. I sip my coffee occasionally, trying to take in a book. There's some white paint on my hands that I forgot to wipe off, and some blood too. I had itched my ear hard wrong. Moments like that you hardly think about until you go to shake someone's hand. In this case, I'm more worried about staining the page.

I painted some sunflowers this afternoon, which is where the paint came from. The painting looks like a five year old made it for their grandma. They would've taken more care if it were for mom and pop, they are paying attention to skill, after all. We all know grandma just appreciates the thought. Above the four sunflowers I had written 'sunflowers... always cheer me up!' This is both a statement and a command. Sometimes there's need for one or the other. Paintings should be flexible. I'll probably put this one somewhere obvious for a while, on the pub table or near the console. I want to be cheered up, and I want people to see that, yes, I do paint like a five year old, and no, it's not just to be charming, I really am that bad at painting. No need for pity, it's the summer time and sun flowers are the bee's knees."

-A

No comments: